Building control is responsible for administering the building regulations in the borough and operates within the Environment and Regeneration Department.
The main aim of the building control section is to protect the public through the use of the provisions of many pieces of national legislation, including the Building Control Act and the Building Regulations.
For more information, please visit https://www.gov.im/categories/planning-and-building-control/planning-building-control-library/planning-building-control-legislation/
The building control manager heads a three-strong team whose prime responsibilities are to:
- Consider building regulations applications in the Borough to check proposed building work complies with the regulations;
- Conduct on-site inspections;
- Monitor building process;
- Provide pre-submission and on-site technical advice and guidance to architects, developers and private individuals.
Other areas of responsibility include:
- Receiving and recording new building regulation applications;
- Where necessary attending court in relation to breaches of building regulations;
- Replying to advocates’ property search enquiries;
For further information please take the time to read our Customer Charter.